We can’t attend the last MOPS of the year next week because we will be at the lake celebrating my 30th (gasp!). We will be doing it again next year, but I wanted to quickly write up some tid bits from the year that have stuck with me. We have had a slew of speakers about different topics and it is so funny the things that strike a chord with you- here are some of the ones that I can recall quickly!
1.When disciplining your children use a stair-step down tone of voice. Don’t get all in a frenzy!
2.Put Christmas cards you receive in a basket on the kitchen table, and pray for/talk about different families’ cards each night during dinner.
3.Thaw/store chicken in a bowl full of cold salt water in the fridge for moist chicken. (random I know, we have been doing this before grilling chicken breasts, and oh my it really works! The chicken is so flavorful and moist)
4.Your family’s age is the age of your oldest child, and everyone else is just trying to keep up. So talk to your children now about the hard topics because if you don’t, someone else will. Example: Although your kindergarten child might be your first born, innocent five year old, he might sit on the school bus next to the baby of three older brothers- think of the things that child will teach your child! You want that info to come from you, so start early.
5.While folding laundry, pray for the person whose clothes you are folding.
6.Know your family’s message about the birds and the bees, and answer all of your children’s questions using that message as a framework. Practice so that you are prepared, and start every uncomfortable question with “I am so glad that you asked!”
7.The breakfast you eat at MOPS will probably be the only meal that you get to eat sitting down, while still hot, with adult conversation, all week.
8.Laminate your children’s artwork and use it as placemats for special occasions- great conversation starters.
9.Try to smile and welcome your husband home excitingly at the end of the day- do not unleash the day’s complaints on him. (harder than you think!)
10.Look for God’s work/plan in even the worst of events- good things can come out of bad times in our lives.
11.Don’t call it the terrible 2’s or it will be terrible- think of it as the terrific 2’s! (I guess we should say the same for threes by the look of thing
I know I am missing tons and tons of valuable stuff that I have learned this year. The speakers have been so wonderful. I am going to miss MOPS this summer but look forward to next year- both kids will be in Moppets. :) It is hard getting all three of us dressed, out the door, and to MOPS by 9:00 but it is worth it.
Here is a picture of most of our small group from Christmas time. 3 of us had either just had or were about to have babies- so we are a little swollen. Or maybe it was all the delicious breakfast food we had just consumed :)
Oh I loved all of the things you remembered!! (I want to ask you about that chicken thing. (I have been to nervous to try). I am so glad you were in my group!!!
ReplyDeleteI've loved having you in MOPS this year. It's been so fun seeing your smiling face at the meetings. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to be in a group together next year :) xoxo
ReplyDelete