We made a bold decision to make it to the 8 AM Mass to avoid the overwhelming Easter crowds. The nursery is closed on Easter Sunday so all four of us would be attending mass together. Even the easiest of 2 year old has a hard time sitting through a one hour mass so I knew it would be challenge for Peyton. Thankfully we had plans to dress him very cute so any offenses may be taken less seriously- plus he had the cast sympathy card working in his favor.
We woke up after a short night of sleep and quickly hunted for our Easter Bunny baskets. Peyton found them in my closet and was most excited about his Thomas the Train and his Ring Pop. Mallory really didn't show much enthusiasm either way. :) We quickly got the children dressed and made it to church just a few minutes late. We ended up squeezing into a row in the cry room with a friend from the Mother's Club at church. This deflected the behavior of my children just a little, hers may have been worse! People just oohed and aahed at Peyton in his argyle sweater, knickers, derby hat, and toddler cast while we walked through the masses to our seat. Once seated Peyton started talking about Jesus. This is currently his favorite topic. He wanted to see him, wanted to touch him, where was Jesus, etc. etc. I made a mistake and thought that if I walked him out to front he would be appeased. Big Mistake. Well, if you give a mouse a cookie....- Peyton refused to stay put, wanted to go wherever he wanted, his Daddy tried to carry him out, he threw a huge fit, and his Daddy got popped in the face with the cast in front of basically hundreds of people. Good times! Mallory and I followed them out and the people on their path out were shaking their heads and laughing. I know these are the times we'll remember. :)
After church we went to Bebe and Papa's for a big Easter lunch. Our friend Peyton (the original Peyton) joined us. We had a delicious meal and played cards and the children, and Marshall, napped.
That evening we left the children at home with Original Peyton and joined some of our best friends for an Easter Dinner at Emily and Reid' house. It was such a nice end to the day. Brisket, wine, and great conversation with Megan, Travis, Mary Marshall, Ryan,Emily, Reid, and Beth and Josh who were in town from New York. I think we may have a new tradition!
Happy Easter to all! And thank you to Grandy for the precious Easter outfits! Mallory was a poofy, pink cupcake and Peyton was very dapper!



Meredith, very glad to have you in the blogosphere. You are fantastic at it. I wish I went to your church so I could see two things: Peyton wearing those clothes and hat and Marshall getting popped in the face with the cast.
ReplyDelete