I am limiting myself to the the absolute top 10 of my experiences with both Peyton and Mallory. Obviously a car seat, stroller, nursing cover, and pack n play make the list, so I want to talk about the things you may not know about.
1. The ITZ Been Timer
this came out in between Peyton and Mallory and is such a lifesaver those first few blurry weeks. It is divided into feeding, sleeping, diaper changing, and your own personal button (I used mine to track my vicodin those first days) and you hit the respective button each time you do one of those. It then tracks how much time has passed- so if you are trying to feed every three hours, you can glance at your timer to keep you on schedule. I know keeping track of those things might sound easy to you now, but just wait. You won't even remember what your own name is, let alone the last time you changed her diaper! We only used this the first month or so but it is worth every single penny. It is also a great tool for husbands to use!

2. The Miracle Blanket
(your baby will love to be swaddled but will do everything possible to break out of that swaddle around four weeks old. This miniature cute straight jacket will keep all hands and legs tightly wrapped in a blanket) Pay close attention to the directions because it needs to be put on them just right to be effective, I wish we had had this with Peyton! You can even double swaddle a muslin blanket over it for when they learn to break out of this one, after that though I would say it is time to break the swaddle.

3. Book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
(use this book to get your baby on a healthy, baby directed, scientifically researched, and written by a real pediatrician/MD Sleep Schedule) I have read all of the most popular sleep books and this is the one I whole heatedly love. We have used it at every stage of Peyton's life and am currently training Mallory with it. It really, really works, is great for their growth/development. Not the most fun read but totally worth it.

4. An Exersaucer/Activity Center.
Peyton loved his, Mallory loves hers. It confines them and gives them loads of entertainment. I've never met a baby that didn't love theirs. If I could only have one baby product, this would be it. It gives you some much needed Mommy Time. We have this one:

5. An Angel Dear Lovie.
Peyton has Gerome the Giraffe, Mallory has Tootsie the Owl. We love the Angel Dear brand above all others. It is small enough to go anywhere, has a head that is easy for the baby to grip, is relatively safe to put in the crib with the baby, and can be thrown in the washing machine. Buy 2, or maybe even 3. Both of my children are super attached to theirs which has made traveling, sleeping in new beds, napping in strange places much easier. We love to name ours and make up songs about them too.

6. Video Monitor.
This is a splurge but so so worth it. We didn't have one with Peyton and spent way too many nervous nights wondering what he was doing in his bed. With Mallory we can just glance at the screen and see exactly what she is up to. This is especially comforting when sleep training. We have this one and it is great. Just beware that you may be able to see your neighbors baby and vice versa! (true story!)

7.Sophie the Giraffe.
I've mentioned her before, but she is worth mentioning again. Teething babies love her. Buy her.

8. Baby Einstein Activity Mat.
Peyton was a much bigger fan of this but Mallory enjoyed it too. And I've never met a baby that didn't like the light up sun that goes on this. I use links to hang all types of different toys to mix it up for them.

9. Ocean Wonders Aquarium Swing.
I hesitated putting this on this list because Mallory was pretty indifferent about the swing, Peyton though would have lived in it if he could. He adored it! This swing goes from cradle to regular swing and has a mobile with fish and lights. Peyton loved it so much that we renamed it "The Magic Swing." Great for cranky babies.

10. And finally, Other Mommies.
Though not an actual product, Support from other new mommies is the number one thing that will help you through. Buy them if you have to! :) I was lucky enough to have a new baby playgroup for both children. One I found in Raleigh and the other one I helped put together for Mallory. Find new Moms wherever you can- your childbirth class, your doctor's office, Target, the mall, word of mouth, whatever it takes. These moms will be your biggest supporters, the people you will go to with questions, the people you can safely cry to, they will help you make it through and you will learn so much from each other! We got together about once a week and for other fun events. In fact- my new baby playgroup just had a lovely Girl's night out last night, without the babies! Don't let yourself get isolated- force yourself to get out and socialize with other moms and babies. It is the very best baby product you can give yourself.
Hope this list helps someone register or buy a baby gift! It was fun to put together. See you in about 6 months for the next one!
love this! :) thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jennie- you'll be needing some new baby stuff soon! :) I really want to add a Halo Sleep Sack to the list and a Marpac white noise machine, but I am refraining......I promised I'd keep it at 10 but it is so hard!!!! So this is my way of sneaking it in. :)
ReplyDeleteAhhh, thank you! I'm so clueless. Glad I already have my lovie checked off the list :)
ReplyDeleteTOTALLY agree with Miracle Blanket, video monitor, Sophie, and especially playgroup. We use a different activity mat, jumper, and swing, but I really don't think it matters. All 3 items are essential, regardless of which one!
ReplyDeleteI second this list! ESPECIALLY the Itzbeen. I still use it...9 months in. I'm not embarrassed about it. Nope. For sound machine, we use the Brown Noise from iTunes & put the speakers & old iPod in the nursery on a loop. It's perfect! It'll be great & easy to travel with too. And lastly, if your baby likes satin-y things & not all soft things (like mine), the Little Giraffe brand makes cute, soft on one side, satin on the other lovies. And my feelings are hurt that I wasn't invited to girls' night (KIDDING)! Hope yall had a great time!
ReplyDelete