Friday, October 7, 2011

"Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?"



See this Yo Gabba Gabba Boombox?  Funny story about what was happening back home while I was out buying it.

2 weekends ago Peyton did not want to play in his soccer game. He asked for the phone and asked how to call his Bebe. I instructed him on the numbers and how to connect the call and he talked to Bebe about going to her house instead of his soccer game. We all told him that he did not have to play soccer, but he had to go to the game and support his team by sitting on the sidelines. He was not happy about this. About 20 minutes passed and we heard a knock at the door and repeated ringing of the doorbell. I heard Marshall in conversation with 2 men. I then heard him say "Did you call 911?" I ran out there and found 2 Dallas police officers at our front door.

Turns out- after talking to Bebe, Peyton had called 911 because he did not want to play in his soccer game. Let me repeat, Peyton called the POLICE because we were making him go to his soccer game. (Which Marshall coaches) I guess he hoped the police would side with him and make us let him stay at home. In his mind they were the only people with more authority than his parents. The police were happy to know there wasn't an emergency and soon left, and we spent a long time trying to explain when is the appropriate time to call 911. He seemed to get it.

The next day I went to a consignment sale where I found that gem of a boombox at the beginning of this post. While I was there Marshall was at home with the 3 kids and received another frantic knock on the door. Yes, it was the Dallas Police Department -Again. Repeat of the above scenario. When asked why he called 911 (while he was happily watching Toy Story 3 mind you) Peyton replied that he "was just a little angry." So clearly the 911 explanation wasn't working. After really talking to him I decided that he didn't know that just dialing without talking and quickly hanging up will still send the police to your house. It hasn't happened since. And good thing because they may actually have to take someone away next time!

Lessons learned:  1) Some 4-years-old may be a little young to understand the concept of 911. I thought it was important that he know what to do since we have 2 other babies in the house, a skill he will hopefully never have to use but clearly I needed to do some more explaining.   2) Don't leave the phones where your children can call people without you knowing.  3) Don't expect Peyton to not try to solve his own problems.

The police handled it very well the first time, pretty well the second time, and there will not be a third time!

And in case you wondering:  Peyton ended up playing some of his soccer game, his choice. Go figure!



No comments:

Post a Comment